Get a Yaz (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) prescription online
No video calls necessary
$15 consult—no membership required
Medical review within 3 hours
Yaz (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) is a combination birth control pill used to prevent pregnancy. This low-dose oral contraceptive can also help people with premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) or who suffer from acne.
Other brand-name versions of this medicine include Gianvi, LO-zumandimine, Loryna, Nikki, Ocella, Syeda, Yasmin, Zarah and Zumandimine.
See what others are saying about Dr. B
How Dr. B treats birth control
Tell us about your condition with a $15 online consultation—no video call necessary.
A medical provider will review your information and prescribe treatment, if appropriate.
Pick up and pay for the medication at the pharmacy of your choice. Or, get it delivered.
About Yaz (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol)
How does it work?
Yaz contains two hormones that work together to prevent pregnancy: Drospirenone (a progestin) and Ethinyl Estradiol (an estrogen). These hormones stop the ovaries from releasing eggs. They also thicken cervical mucus (so sperm can’t travel as easily) and thin the lining of the uterus (so eggs don't implant).
What symptoms or conditions can it help manage?
- Endometriosis pain and inflammation
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Moderate acne
- Irregular cycles
- Ovarian cyst prevention and management
- Painful periods
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) symptoms
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) symptoms
What forms does it come in?
Yaz comes in a blister pack containing 28 pills. The first 24 pills are active pills, and the last 4 pills are inactive pills. The active pills contain the hormones Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol. The inactive pills do not contain any hormones.
Yaz vs. Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol
Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol are the active hormones in Yaz. These are the ingredients that prevent pregnancy. Other brands may contain these hormones, too. Each brand can have slightly different packaging or ingredients, so ask your healthcare provider about which is best for you.
How much will it cost?
Dr. B offers online consultations for $15—which is less than most copays. If a birth control prescription is appropriate, your out-of-pocket medication cost will depend on your insurance and where you decide to get your prescription filled. With a drug discount card, prices for Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol (3 28-tablet blister packs) start at $19.55.
* Prices shown with drug discount card applied. Price may differ depending on location.
Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol (3 28-tablet blister packs)*
More Birth Control Prescriptions
Looking for a different medication? Here are some options.
Yaz (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) prescription FAQ
What are the benefits of taking Yaz (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol)?
- Highly effective (99% prevention rate when used correctly)
- Regulates menstrual cycles
- Reduces heavy menstrual bleeding
- Lowers the risk of anemia
- Eases menstrual cramps
- Improves acne
- Lessens premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Treats premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Treats polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) symptoms
- Reduces excessive facial and body hair growth (hirsutism)
- Lowers the risk of ovarian, endometrial and uterine cancer
- Reduces the risk of breast and ovarian cyst formation
- Lowers the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
Who should not take this medication?
- People with allergies or hypersensitivity to Yaz ingredients
- People who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- People with kidney or liver problems
- Smokers over 35 years old
- Anyone with a history of blood clots or stroke
- People with blood vessel problems
- Anyone with a history of hormonal cancers, like breast cancer
- People who get certain kinds of headaches
- People with high blood pressure or diabetes that isn’t under control
- Those taking hepatitis C medication: Ombitasvir, Paritaprevir, Ritonavir, with or without Dasabuvir, and Tranexamic Acid
Yaz could be dangerous if you have other health issues or if you take certain medications. Talk to your medical provider before you start this treatment.
How do you take this medication?
Take this medicine every day, at the same time of day. Use an alarm or reminder to help you remember.
What happens if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Yaz, take it as soon as you remember, even if it means taking two pills in one day. Use a backup contraceptive method, like condoms, for the next 7 days. If you miss more than two pills, follow the package instructions or consult your healthcare provider for guidance.
What happens if I take too much?
Taking too much Yaz at once may lead to nausea or spotting. If you’ve taken too much of your birth control, call your medical provider or local poison control center (800-222-1222) immediately.
Can I get Yaz (Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol) online?
Dr. B can help you get an online prescription for birth control like Yaz. Just complete a short virtual consultation to connect with a licensed medical provider.
Medical information reviewed by Dr. Sudip Bose
Sudip Bose, MD is a world-leading emergency medicine physician, combat veteran, professor, and entrepreneur. With a wide variety of experience, Dr. Bose is focused on endeavors with large-scale health and educational impact. He founded The Battle Continues, a nonprofit assisting veterans with healthcare needs. Dr. Bose is also a clinical professor at Texas Tech and University of Illinois College of Medicine. He is a graduate of the honors program at Northwestern University, where he continued his medical school education at The Feinberg School of Medicine.
It’s possible to have side effects while using this medicine. These may get better as your body gets used to the medicine. The most common side effects are:
- Unusual or heavy vaginal bleeding
- Breast tenderness
Contact your health provider right away if you notice any serious side effects, like blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, numbness or weakness, leg cramps, breathing problems or yellow skin or eyes.